Sunday, July 22, 2007

Just Starting

Welcome to my new blog. I will be inviting my friends, family, and clients to take part. Please keep in mind that this is not private and everything on here is out there for anyone in the world to see it.

I have a small (two attorney) law office. Tom and I are the attorneys. I have a great staff: Beth is the office manager. Margie has been with us for about 3 years. Donna has worked for me on and off. I really don't know how long. Jewel just started this summer. My son also helps us out. He is in college.

One key part of our practice is bankruptcy law. We have been representing debtors for over 10 years. Things are still very tough out there for many people. Bankruptcy is not easy for anyone to do. Most clients have tried everything that they could do before coming in to see us. Additionally, creditors and collectors have been telling clients that they cannot file. I really don't know when they went to law school and pasted the bar. It takes people years to become an attorney (3 years for most law schools and then they have to pass the bar). Even then you don't know very much about any area of the law unless you have some practical training. Bankruptcy law, like every other area of the law, is not learned over night. I worked hard to learn what I know. There is nothing like experience to learn. Not to mention all of the classes that I have taken on just bankruptcy. Tom was an attorney on the other side of the cases. He worked representing creditors for years. He is wonderful to have on our client's side.

Well, I am getting off my soap box.
Have a great day!

1 comment:

Tania Bernardo said...

"Ten years representing debtors". There is more meaning in these words than it seems at first. I was an intern for about five months at Susan´s law affice a few years ago, and I learned so much then. I wonder how much knowledge Susan has gathered after finding answers for thousands of clients´ questions, going through all the changes in the law, taking and giving courses. But on top of knowledge and experience, she keeps an open and friendly relationship with each of her clients. No wonder her office is always busy and her phone is always ringing!

Tania Bernardo, Bath, UK